Published on April 4th, 2013 | by Jefferson VanBilliard1
Spirits & Smoke: The Campfire Cocktail
Death’s Door Spirits have been doing some extremely exciting things with their no-nonsense approach to creating quality vodka, gin, and whisky. By featuring an 80:20 mash bill of Washington Island wheat, stored in stainless steel barrels, it’s character rests somewhere between the sweet haze of cherry and sweet potato. The liquor itself begs to be mixed with citrus and bitters. Double recognizes this need for bitters, and is more than happy to grab the reigns and create a cocktail that is exciting at Death’s Doors’ approach to making fine spirits.
Instructions for Making Smoked Turbinado Syrup
- To make the smoked turbinado syrup, simply add pre-soaked wood chips to a large pan.
- Place the turbinado syrup in a stainless steel bowl directly on top of the wood chips
- Cover the entire pot with tin foil
- Allow it to smoke for at least twenty minutes.
- Once cooled, dilute the smoked turbinado with un-smoked turbinado to taste.